By using Elementorforum.com’s services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join the Best Wordpress and Elementor Support forum

Provide or get advice on everything Elementor and Wordpress, ask questions, gain confirmation or just become apart of a friendly, like minded community who love Wordpress and Elementor

Join us!

Full site design while inactive, or transfer via import / export?

joebob

joebob

I have an e-commerce site running on wordpress + woocommerce and currently it has a simple storefront theme.

I want to do a major overhaul by installing elementor, the astra theme, and some supporting plugins, but I don't want to take the site down while I'm working on the new design.

What is the best way to do this?

1) Is there a way to basically get elementor and themes etc installed on the active e-commerce site in such a way that I could work on the new design without it being "the main theme"? I don't know if there is a way the leave the running active site alone and operating on the storefront theme while at the same time building new pages using the astra theme?

- or -

2) should I build the pages etc. on a staging copy first, then .. somehow figure out how to transfer the themes and pages to the live site? how would one do that? I can see elementor allows templates to be imported / exported, but I'm hoping for a more straightforward approach to migrating a new design to a site without messing up the underlying ecommerce data etc.

- or -

is there a 3rd option that's better?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest Resources

Other Elementor Resources

elementor official